Hey Everyone, I’m so excited to tell you that I finally have my embroidery software problem sorted out. It’s been a couple of years that I have been without software to work with because my Mac died and all of my programs were too old to load onto my windows 10 computer. I sort of put it on the back burner while I worked on other things. Recently, I got the bug again. At the same time, a good friend of mine checked with me to see if I was interested in Pfaff Premier + Embroidery Software because she knew someone who wanted to gift her embroidery software to someone anonymously. I feel so blessed!
So, after installing my new software, I spent some time reacquainting myself with it. (I started with Pfaff Software way back when…) It’s amazing. I also had a couple of “favors” to do. I was surprised how fast it all came back to me. There are things about the New Pfaff Premier software that I have to discover… but I’ve got all the basics down.
I have been getting requests for my signature back pocket embroidery design that I offered for free with my Misses’ and Women’s Jeans Patterns… way back in 2007. Honestly, I did not get any requests for this embroidery design until very recently… and when I did, I couldn’t find it because it’s almost been 10 years!
I decided to digitize a new version of this design. It’s created using a candlewick decorative stitch. This is a circular shaped stitch that is formed by little crisscrossed stitches. I also added a basting stitch around the design to help with placement. It’s easier to embroider the design before you cut out the back pocket piece. I like to trace the pocket and add guidelines. Then after I’m finished embroidering, I can cut it out and turn the edges under. The goal is to position the embroidery so that the ends of the design extend into the allowance that’s turned under to finish the sides of the pocket.
One of my favorite threads to use with this design is Sulky Holoshimmer Thread. This thread is is a thin, flat, ribbon-like, (holographic) foil that is laminated with polyester. It sparkles like diamonds when it’s combined with the candlewick stitch in this design. Normally I use a size 14 Metallica Needle, but I didn’t have any on hand so I used a size 14 Topstitch Needle and a vertical spool pin. It stitched out great!
I’ve also used this thread with beautiful floral and paisley embroidery that I designed for the Bernina Wearable Art Fashion Show.
Working on the back pocket design and a few other things this week has reminded me how much I LOVE embroidery. I think the first thing I’m going to do is release a couple of the embroidery collections that I have … including “The Oscar Goes Too…” collection that I used on the silk velvet coat above. I’m also itching to create some new designs too! So, stay tuned for details about that.
In the meantime, If you would like the back pocket design… Click Here. 🙂